International Relations, News Highlights

Petrocaribe Asked to Visit the Legislative Assembly While 10 More Municipals Hope to Join Alba Petroleos


Venezuelan officials of Petrocaribe will be invited by the Economic Commission of the Salvadoran Legislative Assembly to speak about the advantages of joining the alliance. La Prensa Grafica reported on Thursday, July 23 that Roberto Lorenzana,deputy of the commission and FMLN party member, explained that they “have asked Petrocaribe to give them a presentation of the advantages and conditions that the project establishes concerning the energy cooperation of our country.”
The Venezuela government’s program, Petrocaribe, is an alliance which various countries throughout Latin America have joined to buy fuel at preferential prices from Venezuela. Though El Salvador has not yet joined Petrocaribe, several municipals in the country are already a part of Alba Petróleos, a company with 40% of its interests controlled by the Associación Intermunicipal Energía para El Salvador (ENEPASA) and the other 60% controlled by PDV Caribe, a subsidiary of the state-owned Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA).
Meanwhile, there are several municipals interested in uniting with Alba Petróleos in the near future. La Prensa Grafica reports that at least 10 municipals mainly from the eastern part of the country hope to join. There are 20 current municipals in Alba Petróleos, all FMLN-governed. The 10 municipals hoping to join are also FMLN bases, including Ciudad Barrios, Santa Elena, La Unión, San Pedro Perulapán, Ciudad Arce, among others. 
Alba Petróleos was created in 2006 by FMLN mayors and PDVSA executives. It is a part of the Petrocaribe program created and driven by President Hugo Chávez of Venezuela. President Funes visited Chávez in May, soon after being elected on March 15, to discuss commercial and political interests between El Salvador and Venezuela. News sources reported that the possibility of importing fuel from Venezuela as a country instead of through Alba Petróleos was discussed, but there have not been any decisions made at this time.

Venezuela El Salvador

Photo from La Prensa Grafica

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s